MUA Pro-Base Complexion Kit review

Hiya lovelies! Hope you're all fine and dandy!

I feel this review needs a little dislaimer. There has been quite some drama sorrounding MUA and their behaviour on soial networks recently. To be clear, I don't agree with their ethics concerning said posts and do think this was completely unprofessional. However, I also don't think this is any of my business so I won't boycot them whatsoever as this has nothing to do with their products which I still think are brilliant. I also won't judge anyone who decides not to buy from them again, each to their own!


So I ordered a couple of things from their website [might review a couple more soon] when they had their 50% off offer, one of them being their new Pro-Base Complexion Kit - ivory which I didn't really expect to be any good due to paying a mere three quid. The kit contains a cream to powder foundation, a concealer and a creamy highlighter shade as well as a tiny brush and sponge which I thought was a nice touch and really handy for when you're on the go! It also has a mirror in the lid, yet another brownie point. From what I can tell most of their complexion products seem to be quite yellowish, which is great for me as most foundations or concealers are too pink for my skintone, it might be too yellow if your skin has pink undertones though. MUA should definitely improve the range of shades to suit more skin types!



As you can see in the picture above, the pans are generously sized [check me out, using a penny for size comparison all #bbloggers like]. I've used the foundation as well as the concealer a couple of times now and it still looks barely touched. In terms of coverage I'd say it gives a light-medium coverage and it's definitely buildable. The only cream to powder foundation I've ever tried before was Benefit's Some Kinda Gorgeous which was awful! I'm still keeping the compact in my handbag as a mirror though and also put a few bobby pins in the little compartment which held the sponge. Anyway, this MUA foundation is so much better, especially if you have combination skin which is more on the oily side like mine as any cream to powder products tend to cling to dry patches. It gives your skin a velvety finish and you don't necessarily need to powder your face afterwards. This doesn't last as long as my liquid foundations though and started to wear off after about 6 hours which is still alright in my opinion!


The concealer is my least favourite product from this kit, I've used this to hide my dark undereye circles and it kept creasing like crazy throughout the day! It probably works better on blemishes, which luckily I don't have any of at the moment, and I really like the creamy consistency it just doesn't seem to work under my eyes. This being said, I also ordered their Conceal and Brighten Kit which contains an amazing concealer which doesn't crease or fade thoughout the day! I should review this when I've used it a little more.

The highlighter cream is really lovely as well. I tend to use powder highlighter as it doesn't require a lot of buffing in and blending but the creamy version definitely gives your skin more of a glow and the picture below doesn't do it justice. Overall I'd really recommend this kit if you're looking for a complexion kit to touch up on the go or just want to try something different to your standard liquid foundation. For £6 you can't go wrong!

from left to right/bottom to top: foundation, concealer, highlighter

I've always applied this with my Sigma F82 and think this [or any similar brush] will give the best results as it has really short, dense bristles and I couldn't achieve a medium coverage with my Real Techniques buffing brush as it's too soft to pick up a decent amount of product. The brush which came with the kit is alright [not as useless as I thought it was] and I've used it to apply some highlighter before blending it out with my fingertips. Any tips on how to properly apply cream blusher/highlighter are welcome! :) Hope this review  was helpful and you enjoyed reading!

Have you tried this kit yet? If so, how do you like it?




16 comments

  1. I wanted to try it for a while, never can get round to it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go, it's well worth the price! x

      Delete
  2. it looks nice for £3 although I do have pink undertones so it probably wouldn't suit me. what has MUA be doing on social networking? I haven't heard anything about it yet x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely something MUA is lacking, a shade range to suit pale skin with pink undertones. In short, they named and shamed the MUA that was working for them [and decided to leave MUA for another company] on their Facebook page and literally everyone went crazy about it. xxx

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good actually, I have to get some MUA products soon. What actually happened with MUA, I have read a few people saying they've been unprofessional but what actually happened? X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend them, the quality is amazing for the price! You might want to read my reply to the comment above xx

      Delete
  4. Firstly I agree with the disclaimer!
    And such a great review!
    It looks quite nice actually! Really good for the price!
    hareem xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha thank you lovely! :) Glad you enjoyed my review, I really recommend trying it! xxx

      Delete
  5. Love your blog! It looks like a great product :)

    Jade xx

    www.fairytalekiss.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, glad you like it :) It's definitely worth giving a go! xx

      Delete
  6. Great review and I love your blog dear! <33

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, glad you like it :) xx

      Delete
  7. I want to try this!
    But opss, O hope you can make a review of this sigma brush, I have RT brushes but I'm trying too grab one but I lack willpower.
    Maybe you can help me with a review.
    ♡,
    Riza of Pour L'Instant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go! I already reviewed this brush on my blog, just forgot to link it, whoops! http://ohsnapbabes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/sigma-round-kabuki-f82-brush-review.html there you go, hope this helps x

      Delete
  8. This does look tempting! MUA don't have the best records for customer care after there 'get off our website' tweet when the 50% sale was on but they do do some lovely things! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know! Although I don't think that tweet was rude in any way, as they've asked the customers to get off the website about 526756 times before but they kept trying regardless which was quite annoying to be honest! But I agree, they do some lovely things and I'll happily keep buying from them xx

      Delete