5 concealers for every skin type and budget


If I had to choose one makeup item and get rid of everything else, it would be concealer. When I'm not tanned (which is like 99% of the time, I'm not good with fake tan) I have ridiculously dark undereye circles and discolouration around my nose and mouth, so concealer has always been a must. I've tried my fair share over the years, so today I'm talking you through five options that stood the test of time.



MAC Pro Longwear concealer £18
Like every MAC product this comes in a wide range of shades to suit every skintone and colour. My skin has yellow undertones and my usual MAC shade is NC25. Since I'm using this to get rid of dark circles, I always go for NW20 because peach coloured products counteract the blue veins which are causing them. I also go a shade lighter to brighten my undereye area. The Pro Longwear concealer has amazing coverage and staying power but can be a tad drying - on the bright side, it hardly creases on me throughout the day. The only downside to this is the pump. One pump would be sufficient to cover your entire face and it's quite hard to dispense the right amount, but four tubes down I finally figured it out.
Coverage: full
Staying power: up to 15 hrs
Shade range: 16 shades (8 NC/yellow toned shades, 8 NW/pink toned shades)
Packaging: glass bottle with pump



17 concealer £4.49
If you found the Collection concealer (my all time favourite) too drying you'll love this one. Same coverage and staying power but not as matte! Also, it's cheap as chips - what's not to love? I'll tell you: it only comes in three shades, extra fair (neutral, almost white), fair (cool/pink toned) and medium (warm/yellow toned). I use fair as an undereye concealer and medium on any blemishes but imagine anyone with a different skintone won't find a matching shade. I know we're used to shoddy shade ranges but three shades is quite meagre.
Coverage: medium to full
Staying power: 8 hrs
Shade range: 3 shades
Packaging: doe-foot

Bourjois Radiance Reveal concealer £7.99
This offering from Bourjois is very creamy and smells delicious. It contains glacier water and hyaluronic acid which makes it very moisturising and great for dry skin types. As an undereye concealer it claims to correct and illuminate which I think it does. It's peach toned (again, great to ban those pesky dark circles!) and has a light to medium coverage. Layered on top of the MAC concealer this gives me some seriously bright peepers! Unfortunately this also comes in a mere three shades, definitely something that should be improved in the future.
Coverage: light to medium
Staying power: 6 hrs
Shade range: 3 shades
Packaging: doe-foot

Maybelline Eraser Eye concealer £7.99
The Maybelline Eraser Eye concealer has been around for ages and it's one of those products I have put off trying for a long time because it comes with the most impractical sponge applicator. A product which is designed to use around the eyes surely shouldn't allow too many bacteria to harbour? Well, that's exactly what this is doing. The concealer itself is amazing, it's creamy, illuminating, has great coverage and staying power, but please, just put it in a squeezy tube, will you Maybelline?
Coverage: medium 
Staying power: 6 hrs
Shade range: 5 shades
Packaging: twist-up sponge tip

NYX HD concealer £5.50
This is basically the same as the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer and it's a concealer I'd repurchase without hesitation. It's £1.50 more but it's that tiny bit less drying and the shade range is a lot better than the Collection one which consists of a mere four shades. It's super creamy and longlasting and a great option if you're one a budget.
Coverage: full
Staying power: 8hrs
Shade range: 9+3 correction shades
Packaging: doe-foot

What's your favourite concealer? Have you tried any of these before?

No comments